- Every part of a portrait is important, but I pay particular attention to the eyes — after years of staring into them, I can confirm that they are indeed the windows of the soul !
- I trained in Florence with Charles Cecil, focussing on the materials and processes of Baroque portraiture, and then did my BA in Art History at the Courtauld Institute in London. I spent the next eleven years in New York, working as an artist and a Latin/Art teacher. Since 2017, I have been based in Barcelona.
- My portraits are realistic and recognizable. I aim to show the sitter looking their best. To help with this, Jimmy Cortés (professional Hair & Make-up Designer/Artist at Liceu Opera Barcelona) can be available for sittings at the studio in Barcelona (a great place to visit for your sitting). However, I/we can also travel to you, wherever you are.
- For painting, I use oils: a durable, glazeable medium with an expansive tonal range which dries slowly, enabling a wide range of paint effects. The substance of oil paint is a vital feature of my paintings, as well as the hand-stretched canvas it sits on.
- For drawings, I use charcoal: with a similar tonal range to oil paint, this is a lighter, less formal portrait in elegant monochrome.
- Interested in non-commissioned work? Visit www.ateliercafebcn.com